Team Fallacy's New Logo

I guess I can reveal that now, I've certainly been bragging about it long enough. I've worked with Team Fallacy and the long and short of all that is that I made them a new logo to look all the more professional for the budding NA Starcraft 2 team. The whole story would bore you. I lied, the whole story is I said I'd do it as a favor to their manager, ThomasjServo, and as time would go on for the project, he decided to pay me after I was done. How nice of him. Go support esports.

Anyway, here's that sexy new logo for all of you to see.

Oh yes. It's so sexy it belongs on a team jersey on a bunch of mostly-American gamers.

Pretty nice, huh? You don't have to say so. I know. Don't worry. I'll go into more detail after the jump



Needless to say, the process took a lot of fine-tuning and reworking to get it just right. Just for a frame of reference, here's what the older fLc logos looked like.

Older
Old

New

Those previous two were what I had to work with. I worked around the old logo when designing the new, until I realized "These colours are muddy as shit, let me brighten the thing up", and started messing around with blues until I got something like this after only a few hours.



Electric blue was the way to go. But its very different from the final product, right? Well, after talking with Servo and a couple others, I did away with the outlying text and the serif font, as well as the strange outline circling it all, going instead for something simpler.



A few people liked this font better, but it didn't look very consistent with the capital letter throwing it off, but it was Servo's request to keep it that way. I took the note to heart as I worked on the newer interpretations. I then got told a heavy criticism that the wings looked far too sharp and just crap. I agreed they looked rather simple, but couldn't figure out a way to properly replace them. So I did what I normally do in such a situation: I make a bunch of differing versions. Here's a few.


Yeah, take a guess which one was most-liked. I took the last one and, while I wasn't getting much contact with Servo, I sharpened the wings up a bit and refined it a bit more, and we got this:


Bam. Everything was looking finalized and done. All was well. I was contacting Servo saying that it was all but finished, and that we should finalize the deal. Then, when doing things like applying transparencies onto the logo to see how it'd look on things like a team display in an event, or Liquipedia, I found a major problem. The light colours outlining the piece looked absolutely terrible on white. It also looked terrible when shrunk down to a size like this:
That is the standard size of a team logo when referring to players on LP. Needless to say, it didn't look as good as that icon there. So I got to work, trying to figure out what would make it work better for such a thing. Taking a note from Team MVP's logo, I decided the way to go was layering black and white outlines around it to distance the logo from the background. It didn't work still, so I decided to darken the existing linework of the logo and give it a white outline around that. It looked better. At last. Then to make it work better with the darker outline, I worked in an inner outline to highlight the piece as I gave it a nice even gradient. Now it looked great. Great great.
Great great great.
After a few other requests for Servo, like something for the LP and the Facebook page, it was all completely done and finished. I even made a sweet twenty bucks after all was said and done. Thanks Servo!

Even after all that, there's still some extras of shit that didn't come into play at all., so here they are.


I hoped you enjoyed going through this process with me. I want to thank ThomasjServo, Aerisky, DaPhreak, MDJ, DivinO, farvacola, and anyone else that helped me out with feedback on this project as a whole.

The end. Probably.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © GX.art